Saturday, March 8, 2014

Sydney Aquarium!

Have I ever mentioned how much I love aquariums!? No? Well I do. I love the way they teach people about the environment in the form of fun. Though most people don't read all of the signs, they just look at the pretty fish; such a waste. But I, being the hugemundo nerd that I am can spend forever reading each and every sign and coming up with many more questions to ask.



One of my favorite parts of the aquarium are the kiosks where you can click on the different organisms, learning about their habitats, diets, ranges and other fun facts! Parts of the aquarium are awesome at showing the interrelatedness of different parts of the ecosystems.


The cool part/ defining feature of this aquarium that really seals the deal is the tunnel! There are two such tunnels, one with the beautiful dugongs and one with an assortment of rays and sharks! I could sit in them for hours, though this time they just got me very excited for my Great Barrier Reef Diving trip I have planned.

This aquarium in particular had two important points to push. One of which was about the effects of our consumption and pollution on the marine environment. Lots of information was presented on plastic use, discarded cigarets and things like that. There was an exhibit showing a healthy reef environment on one side and one affected by pollution on the other side.
Before
After

Their second point to push was weaved throughout the entirety of the aquarium. There were so many facts about sharks, their habitats, their interesting quarks and misconceptions. It was great to see them defending the "great predators" of the open oceans. Take a look at a few of the facts I snapped pictures of.







No comments:

Post a Comment