Friday, March 28, 2014

Biennale of Sydney

Last weekend was one of beautiful sunshine before this week of rain fell upon us (haha, the rain fell, so clever).  A Biennale is a large art festival originally started in Italy, the one here in Sydney lasts for about a month. The day started at the wharf, waiting with Captain Cook to get on the ferry!

As the ferry left we got some great views of the bridge and Opera House from a much different angle than I'm used to. It's so fun to say that I'm used to seeing the Sydney Opera House, I guess I'm not as integrated into the Sydney life as I thought I was.




So, Cockatoo Island is really interesting, strange and little bit creepy. It has a long industrial history. It was used as an Industrial School for Girls, prisoners build things, ships were build here until it laid dormant for 10 years, now it is a historic site! Read up some more about it here!





The art was... I'm not sure. We'll just say that I am definitely a science person and appreciate things with a purpose. Some of the art was awesome. This one piece, all of the outlets, the windows and doors in this room are actually painted on the wall. It is an exact replica (on a fake wall) of the wall behind it with awesome designs. Other art works I couldn't appreciate as well, some were scary, and some I just didn't know how it is considered art.


After the Biennale we took a trip to the Sydney Sky Tower to get a three hundred and sixty degree view of Sydney. From up here the city does not look nearly as nice. I prefer the up close view of small neighborhoods or beaches. These things are what make Sydney nice. I have to say the NYC looks much better from air than Sydney does. Actually, Toronto and Paris also look better. I don't know what that says about a city. In this picture, if you look really close you can see the library at my campus towards the top right. It is a tall building with 14 floors and UNSW written in large white letters at the top.


No comments:

Post a Comment