Thursday, May 29, 2014

Melbourne!

Finally! So the other weekend I took a trip to Melbourne! It was wonderful, I would love to live there. It was also a weekend packed with activity and I have been busy with schoolwork since so this is the first chance I've had to write about it. First of all, I got there at night and felt immediately comfortable. One of the first things I saw here was a place called 'Lord of the Fries'. At first sight I simply appreciated the play on words but soon found that it was a completely vegetarian burger place! And cheap too. I ate there more than I wish to disclose because it was just exciting. The hostel I stayed at was really chill, an odd combination of backpackers, young and old and some who had been there for more than a month.


I traveled to Melbourne alone but had a few friend there the same weekend. It was a nice combination of traveling alone, spending some time to walk around, look at the sights, do what I want, and having people to share experiences and explore with. The first night we went out to a local bar with some friends we made at the hostel. In the morning I woke up early and took a stroll around the city by myself. I cannot get over my love for cities in the morning and spending time alone. The city is covered with beautiful artwork, both commissioned and not.



Some of the old architecture was beautiful to me! The train station we stayed near, Flindler's Station, was this old building with some clocks and signs that look as if they are original to the building. The bridges had a lot of details that made the water side paths even more wonderful for walking on.


Walking through the parks and by the water in the morning was wonderful. I love fall, parks, walks, cool air, and basically everything about the morning.


There was an amazing veterans memorial in the park. It remembered soldiers from all of the major wars Australia has been a part of. 


One evening I took a short tram ride with my friend Hares to a place called Fitzroy. This is known to be one of the more 'hipster' neighborhoods in Melbourne but we just noticed the restaurants and spent most of out time walking along the water. Sunset was beautiful over the city. We also saw some wild penguins chilling out on the rocks. They played around a couple of feet away from us, spectacular.



The next day, I went to Fitzroy again during the daylight with my friend Paige. The day was an interesting cloudy/rainy yet incredibly sunny and warm. The reason for seeing a rainbow. The trams also had funny signs with Rhinos.




One of the parks I visited has a big structure that looked like a water tower, upon closer inspection I found it to be covered in bird houses, most of which has clear tenants!

I love Melbourne as a city and could definitely see myself living there more than I can in Sydney. I also met up with my high school friend Madeleine who lives there now, which was nice to get a little bit of home while being abroad. More posts to come about my excursions from Melbourne!

No comments:

Post a Comment