Monday, June 23, 2014

Daintree National Park and Cape Tribulation

Before my dive course started I had a couple of day so I took a day tour to Daintree Nation Park and Cape Tribulation.

We started the day with a stop at a beach along the coastal drive. Where there were warnings against jellyfish and some great ants!


Next we had a guided rainforest tour.  Our guide was an aboriginal man with a never-ending supply of stories about the land, trees, animals and his family’s history. It was wonderful to here about how each tree was used for certain remedies and products. It was so much nicer than standard tours I have been on because our guide had such a personal relationship with the forest and had a real integrated knowledge of all of its systems. Here is a sample of some of the beautiful flora.



The aboriginal man himself talking about the use of this fruit and the values invested in this tree.

We stopped at another beach with mangroves for our lunch break. 





After lunch we stopped at a local shop for homemade ice cream. It was some of the best ice cream I’ve ever had, made with the tropical fruits picked right outside their door. 

After lunch and ice cream we went on a cruise up the Daintree River, one of the most diverse mangrove systems in the world. Along the banks throughout all of the different mangrove trees, crocodiles rested on the shore. Ranging in size and age, they were amazing to watch. They have a near perfect strike rate, when the opportunity arises they only strike if they are certain to get their prey. They look so comfortable resting along the banks.



They even let me hold a baby crocodile!

Another walk through the rainforest led us to the beautiful Mossman Gorge.




I continue to be a mega nerd, looking at plants, bugs, and birds…




Honestly one of the best days I have spent in Australia. I met some sisters from Connecticut and we had a lot of fun during the trip.


















1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate your work. This post is really handy and useful, I am sure people will get help from this. And thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete