Sunday, February 16, 2014

Hightailing it Out of There/Touchdown!

Packing has been the most difficult part of getting ready. What is necessary and what can be left behind for 6 months is tougher than it seems. I am definitely one of those people who can't make decisions and often don't know what I'm doing tomorrow or even 10minutes from now, so to think about what I might possibly want to wear in 6 months is preposterous. I finally settled for the fact that in 6 months the decisions will have already been made and I will be wearing some combination of whatever I put in my suitcase before leaving, wether I want to or not.


The large waves of snow earlier in the week seemed a formidable opponent to my plans or traveling. Thankfully the cancelled flights had all been days before mine was scheduled and the weather only caused some delays. The airline was so nice. Pillows, blankets and headphones! As well as an interactive screen in each seat where you can choose from a variety of movies, TV shows, News, even board games! The meals were also delicious, that may have been a combination of my joy at having something else to occupy my time. 

Stepping off the plane (out of the airport really) was a great relief! For one, 24 hours is a long time to be traveling without much sleep or fresh air. Secondly, I left the cold and snowy tundra that is New York and stepped out into the warm, sunny Sydney air! Took a bus and met my new roommate! Now I'm all moved in and even more excited to experience these next couple months. Two things I've noticed that will take me some time to get used to.

A. Australian currency is so pretty! I don't even want to spend it. It doesn't feel real to me.




B. The driving on the left side of the road thing will take some getting used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment